As salaamu alaikum! Please read this email in its entirety. Enclosed, you will find information regarding:
- Back to School Checklist
- Important Deadlines
- Parent-Duty Hours -available opportunities
- Calendar & Important Dates
As salaam alaikum IST Families!
We hope everyone has had a blessed Ramadan, a joyous Eid, and are enjoying their summer vacation with lots of adventures and family time! In just a few weeks, we will be welcoming our students back to their classrooms for another fun year of learning, inshaAllah :)
To help our students get off to a great start, we encourage parents to visit their local library for summer reading programs. Please visit the Mercer County Library Systemwebsite for a list of programs in your area.
The first day of school for students is Monday, August 28th. School will start at 7:55 A.M. for students in 1st through 8th grades, and at 8:25 A.M.for Preschoolers and Kindergartners. Students will be dismissed at 12 P.M. the first week of school.
Back to School Checklist
Forms are available for download in the links provided.
- Complete student registration application (download)
- Complete Tuition Contract & Parent Duty Hours form (download)
- Submit student shot/medical records(Returning students must also submit their record if any changes have taken place since February 2017. Please obtain a copy from your child's pediatrician.)
- Review Parent-Student Handbook for IST School Policies & Guidelines (download)
- School Supply List (download)
- School uniform
- Gym uniform
- Registration application due. The registration packet includes important forms due to the local school district in which the student resides. Please submit this packet as soon as possible!
- Student registration fee due*
- First installment of tuition due (for all payment plans)
- PTA forms and nominations due
All families are required to volunteer 25 hours of their service to the school. Take advantage of these volunteer opportunities to fulfill and get a head-start on your parent-duty hours! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible if you, your friends, or relatives can help with any of the below activities (others volunteering on your behalf must be at least 19 years of age):
Volunteer Position: Classrooms Setup
Date and Time: August 15th - 20th; flexible timing
Description: Transport chairs and desks from the modular unit to the classrooms on the second floor of the mosque.
Volunteer Position: Welcome Reception Setup
Date and Time: August 28th, 29th; 8 A.M. - 12 P.M.
Description: Help our staff welcome students back to their first week of school with placement of supplies, serving snacks, and light activities.
Volunteer Position: Morning Drop-Off Traffic Guard
Date and Time: August 28th - September 29th; 7:45 A.M. - 8:15 A.M.
Description: Help keep our students safe by guiding morning traffic on Oxford Street for the first month of school.
Volunteer Position: Pre-K - KG Crafts
Date and Time: 1-2 times a month during school year; flexible timing, after-school preferred
Description: Create ready-to-use craft supplies for our youngest learners. Includes:
- No-bake play-dough recipe
- Tracing & cutting art paper
- Binding workbooks / journals for student use
Volunteer Position: After-School Extracurricular Activities
Date and Time: 1-2 times a week during school year, 3 P.M. - 4 P.M.
Description: If you (or your relatives or friends) love working with kids, using your hands, and want our Muslim youth to become more involved with the community or explore their full potential and skill, then be a part of IST's After-School program! Supplies and training will be provided for the activities listed below:
- Crazy 8 Math Club
- Sports Coach (some experience necessary)
- Science Fair planning
- S.T.E.M. program
- Islamic Studies Competition
- Qira'at Competition (experience necessary)
- Spelling Bee
- Sewing Club
- Gardening & Nature Club
- Homework & Academic Help
If you would like to see (and help out with) any other activities, please let us know!
2017-2018 School Calendar
The complete school year calendar is available on the website. Please note the following:
First Week & September Schedule
August 28-31: Early Dismissal, students will be dismissed at 12 P.M. for all four days
September 1 - 4: School will be closed for Eid holiday
September 7: Early Dismissal, staff development day
September 29: Back to School Night @ 6:30 P.M.
Pizza or Hot Lunch will not be available during the first two weeks of school.