It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the Islamic School of Trenton for the 2015-16 school year. I am very excited to build on the successes we had last year while we learn and grow as a community, insha'Allah. I am often reminded that it takes a village to raise a child and I personally feel fortunate to be part of this amazing village.
For those of you new to the Islamic School of Trenton I want to invite you to an incredibly hard working, friendly and dynamic community, alhumdulillah. The partnership that the school has with its parents is great, Masha'Allah. All of us work together as a community to ensure success for our students.
I'm excited to start to welcome and greet new families and reconnect with old ones in the next few weeks. It is very important that all of our families register. If you still need to register please visit the school website (www.islamicschooloftrenton.org) or come to the office during the office hours (Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm).
IST had many successes in many different areas last year. I would like to take a moment to share some of them with you:
- We had many successful events including Science Fair, Social Studies Competition, Qasus ul Anbiya, and School Spirit Week
- We had outstanding SAT 10 scores. Our students scored above average in all areas of literacy and math.
- Increased communication with the parent community, this included an updated website.
- The College of New Jersey and IST partnership; TCNJ's Muslim students helped make our first Family Fun Night an amazing experience
- Outstanding performance of our preK and KG students at the Spring Fiesta Book Fair
- We had a computer lab set up along with a library to supplement in class learning
- Fun extracurricular activities for our students: Tuesday Boxing, Needle Club, and Calligraphy Club
- A very strong showing at the Inter-school Science Fair with one student winning 2nd place trophy
- An overall great year, where collaboration was always present between staff, students, and parents that resulted in a positive learning environment for our students.
- Successfully building partnership with Princeton University's MSA
- Building a Community Leaders Club for our students that will focus on teaching students about the different aspects of being a charitable Muslim and leaders in the community. Concepts such as charity, patience, and loving our Muslim brothers and sisters will be explored and the students will participate in several volunteering opportunities with different organizations to internalize these values.
- A continued focus on challenging students and focusing on student work so that we can work collaboratively to meet their needs
We are all looking forward to working with the community so that all of our children succeed. There is no greater honor than working with the beautiful and amazing children of IST. Thank you for trusting us with the most important treasure in your lives.
Below are some important dates and events for the beginning of the school year:
August 31: 1st day of school. The school will start at 7:55 for 1st grade and up and 8:25 for PreK and KG.
September 7: Labor Day: No School
September 18: Back to School Night (Evening program)
Look for updates with specific times and plans on the school website
September 21 to September 25, 2015: Eid’ul Adha Recess: No School
Enjoy the rest of your summer. We are very excited to see you in the near future.